Shrimp & Scallop Fajitas
These seafood fajitas have a light sweet-and-sour flavor thanks to the addition of lime juice and honey.
- 12 large (16 to 20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 3/4 lb.
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered and each quarter cut into half pieces separated
- 12 sea scallops, about 3/4 lb.
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 (7 to 9-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- Red and Green Salsa2 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and chopped into small squares
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 cups prepared salsa
- Thread the shrimp, red pepper and half the onion onto four 12-inch skewers, running the skewer through each shrimp twice. Thread the scallops, green pepper and remaining onion onto 4 more skewers. Place on a large shallow platter. Combine the lime peel, lime juice, oil, honey, garlic, pepper and salt. Pour over the skewers and marinate, turning occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Red and Green SalsaTo make the salsa, toss the avocado with the lime juice and gently stir into the prepared salsa. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Coat the grill rack with vegetable cooking spray. Place kebobs on grill rack 4 to 6 inches over medium-hot coals. Grill, turning once, just until the seafood is opaque, allowing about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and heat them on the grill.
- To make the fajitas, slide the seafood and vegetables off of each skewer into a warm tortilla. Add "red and green salsa" to taste. Roll up tortilla to enclose the filling. Eat fajitas out of hand. Serve with refried beans or Mexican rice, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 245 (36%)
(44%)Total Fat 28g
(21%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 16g
Total Carbohydrate 81g
(51%)Dietary Fiber 13g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.