South-of-the-Border Chicken Cacciatore
Canned pizza and taco sauces make this a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 4 chicken breasts, about 2-1/2 pounds (bone in)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can pizza sauce
- 1 8-ounce jar taco sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup cornbread stuffing for garnish
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chicken breasts and saute until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic and bell peppers; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in pizza and taco sauces; add water and parsley. Return chicken to skillet; bring sauce to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, turning chicken after 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, turning chicken again; continue to simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Spoon into serving dish, sprinkle with corn stuffing. Serve over rice or pasta.
Calories from Fat 221 (39%)
(38%)Total Fat 25g
(26%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 60g
(13%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.