Southwest Chicken Piccata with Peppered Couscous
Recipe created by Mary Hawkes from Prescott, Arizona
Minced jalapenos bring a nice bit of heat to both the chicken and the couscous.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 tsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tbs thinly sliced cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Peppered Couscous:1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup julienne sweet red pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoned pepper blend
- 2 Tbs cilantro sprigs
- lime slices
- In large sealable plastic bag, place chicken and pound to 1/4 inch thickness.
- On plate, mix together flour, garlic salt, cumin and pepper. Dip chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat.
- In large nonstick frypan over medium high heat, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil. Add 2 breast halves and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Wipe pan clean and repeat with remaining oil and chicken. To frypan, add chicken broth and jalapeno pepper; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits.
- Cook about 3 minutes to reduce by half, remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Place couscous on serving dish and arrange chicken on top. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with cilantro sprigs, lime slices, and chile peppers.
- Peppered Couscous:In small saucepan, mix together remaining cup chicken broth, frozen corn kernels, sweet red pepper, jalapeno pepper, pepper blend and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in uncooked couscous.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in thinly sliced cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 82 (19%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 50g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.