Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce with Parmesan Crisps
This time-friendly spaghetti recipe is sure to be a hit, especially when garnished with basil and parmesan crisps.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounce) organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5 ounce) organic tomato paste
- 1 can (10 ounce) tomato soup
- 1 cup red wine, such as Merlot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan Crisps6 Tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cooking spray
- In a food processor, pulse all vegetables in batches until they are finely chopped. Set aside in a sieve over a large bowl so some of the liquid can drain.
- Over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef in a large pot until it is no longer pink. Drain the beef and set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the ground Italian sausage until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add drained, pulsed vegetables and saute until they begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
- Add the reserved ground beef and Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato soup, red wine, bay leaves, oregano, red pepper flakes, sugar, and balsamic and red wine vinegars. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring well to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Serve on top of spaghetti, garnished with basil and Parmesan crisps.
- Parmesan CrispsPreheat oven to 325F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place a biscuit cutter on the prepared cookie sheet and fill it with 1 ˝ Tbsp of parmesan cheese. Spread the cheese evenly inside and carefully remove the biscuit cutter. Repeat with remaining cheese. You can sprinkle cheese with spices of your choice; I used dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Bake in the oven for 7 minutes. When the cheese has cooled, carefully remove from baking sheet with a metal spatula.
- Store crisps in a food storage container at room temperature separated by parchment paper.
Calories from Fat 345 (55%)
(58%)Total Fat 38g
(66%)Saturated Fat 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 18g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.