Spinach Salad with Candied Shiitake Mushrooms
Browned mushrooms in a sweet and salty sauce dress up this impressive salad.
- 12 slices smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup minced ginger
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 3 lbs baby spinach, well rinsed
- 3 lbs trimmed watercress, well rinsed
- Candied Shiitake Mushrooms4 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 lb stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- To make the mushrooms: Mix the teriyaki sauce, rice wine vinegar, and honey together. Heat the sesame oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook to brown slightly, stirring constantly. Add the teriyaki mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, reserving the fat. Dice the bacon.
- For each serving, to order: Heat 1/2 tablespoon bacon fat over medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon ginger and 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add 4 ounces spinach and watercress, toss, and turn off the heat. Add 1/3 cup candied shiitake mushrooms and 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Stir until well coated and mound the salad on a plate, drizzling the liquid around it. Sprinkle diced bacon over the salad
Calories from Fat 22 (11%)
(4%)Total Fat 3g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 42g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.