Steak, Sugar Snap Pea & Barley Salad
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 1/4 cup prepared lowfat vinaigrette
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 cup yellow and red grape or teardrop tomatoes, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Gremolata Dressing1/4 cup prepared lowfat vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine Gremolata Dressing ingredients in small bowl until well blended, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place beef steak and 1/4 cup vinaigrette in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Bring water to boil in large saucepan. Add peas; cook 2 to 3 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain; rinse under cold water. Combine peas, cooked barley and tomatoes in large bowl; toss with dressing and set aside.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Combine minced garlic and 1 teaspoon pepper; press evenly onto steak. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, about 16 to 18 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning once. (Do not overcook.)
- Carve steak into thin slices, season with salt, as desired. Add steak slices to barley mixture.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman's Beef Association
Cook's Tip: To broil, place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 17 to 18 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning once. (Do not overcook.).
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Calories from Fat 100 (28%)
(19%)Total Fat 12g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 42g
(24%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.