Strip Steak with Mushrooms and Peppers
This is a good example of how to enjoy steak healthfully. It's suggestive of a typical dish of steak with peppers and onions you might eat at a restaurant but without the grease. We toss the vegetables with mushrooms for extra moisture, juiciness, and flavor. The number of veggies with the steak works out to a balanced, tasty meal.
- 10 oz white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (5 to 6 cups)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs strip steak, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 Tbs fresh chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms, pepper, and onion with the vinegar and olive oil. Spread the vegetables in a shallow baking pan and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on how well done you like vegetables.
- Use a spatula to scrape the vegetables from the pan. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
- Season the steak on both sides with rosemary and pepper. Lay in a broiler pan and broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and broil for 5 to 6 minutes longer for medium rare, or until done to the degree of doneness desired.
- Season the steak with pepper and with salt, if desired.
- Let the steak rest for about 5 minutes. Slice and serve topped with the mushroom mixture.
Recipe courtesy of The Pump Energy Food by Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. Copyright 2005 Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 237 (58%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(47%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 7g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.