Stuffed Pork, Cheddar, and Apple Panini
These flavors were meant for each other, and this combination makes a terrific kid-friendly and healthy sandwich for lunch.
- 8 boneless pork loin chops, cut 1/4-inch thick and trimmed (10 to 12 ounces total)
- 4 Tbs apricot preserves
- 2 Tbs Dijon-style mustard
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 slices country wheat bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 3 Tbs margarine, softened
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, reduced-fat (made with 2% milk/fat free), thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine apricot preserves and mustard. Set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook pork chops for 2 to 3 minutes or until internal temperature of pork reaches 160 F, turning pork chops over halfway through cooking. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain pan of juices and scrape bits from bottom of pan with metal spatula. Wipe pan dry with paper towels..
- To assemble sandwiches, spread one side of each slice of bread with about 1 teaspoon margarine. Place bread slices, buttered sides down on clean cutting board. Spread unbuttered sides with apricot-mustard mixture. On half of the bread slices, layer pork, apple and cheese. Place remaining bread slices on top, buttered sides up, to form sandwiches.
- Meanwhile, preheat skillet over medium heat. Place the 2 sandwiches in skillet without a Panini press. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Repeat cooking remaining 2 sandwiches.
- *To cook sandwiches using an electric Panini grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer's directions. Place sandwich(s) on grill; lower top of grill and grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a warm bowl of soup and carrot sticks.
Calories from Fat 162 (36%)
(28%)Total Fat 18g
(37%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 45g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.