Tart 'n Tangy Barbecue Ribs
- 3 lbs pork back ribs
- 1 10-oz. jar currant or grape jelly
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp bottled hot pepper sauce
- For sauce, in medium microwave-safe bowl, combine jelly, tomato paste and water. Stir in chili powder, garlic salt, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until jelly is melted and mixture is well blended and bubbly. Micro-cook 2 minutes more, stirring once. Makes 1 1/2 cups sauce. (If desired, sauce may be prepared conventionally in medium saucepan. Combine all ingredients as above except increase water to 1/4 cup. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly is melted and mixture is well blended. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes.
- Trim excess fat from ribs. Cut into 3-rib portions. Place in a large oven cooking bag in an 11x7-inch baking dish, overlapping as necessary. Secure loosely with a strip cut from end of the cooking bag (or use microwave-safe casserole with lid). Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 10 minutes. Turn bag over, rearranging ribs to expose uncooked areas. Micro-cook on HIGH (100% power) for 10-15 minutes more or until no pink remains. Remove ribs from bag and drain well.
- Prepare covered grill with drip pan in center banked by medium-hot coals. Place ribs over drip pan. Brush lightly with sauce. Lower grill hood. Grill about 30-40 minutes or until tender, brushing with sauce and turning ribs over occasionally.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 485 (69%)
(83%)Total Fat 54g
(99%)Saturated Fat 20g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 24g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
(54%)Dietary Fiber 14g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.