The Ultimate California Sundae
Bruce Weinstein, author of The Ultimate Ice Cream Book
Black Mission figs and a delectable Strawberry Almond Ginger topping, makes this sundae beyond compare.
- Sundae:2 fresh Black Mission figs, quartered
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Almond Ginger Topping, divided (recipe follows)
- 2 to 3 Tbs whipped cream for garnish
- 1 tsp sliced almonds for garnish
- 1 tsp chopped candied ginger for garnish
- Strawberry Almond Ginger Topping:1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbs chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Sundae:Place 3 pieces of fig in the bottom of a large sundae glass. Cover the figs with 2 scoops of ice cream. Place 3 more fig pieces over the ice cream along with 1/4 cup strawberry topping. Add 2 more scoops of ice cream topped with the remaining 1/4 cup strawberry topping. Garnish the sundae with the whipped cream, sliced almonds, candied ginger, and remaining fig pieces.
- Topping:Slice the berries in half (or into quarters if they are very large) and place them in a large, heavy non-reactive saucepan with the sugar and lime juice. Toss until the berries are well coated with sugar. Set aside for 2 hours or until the berries have released their juice.
- Place the pan with the berries over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Add the almond extract and candied ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and skim any foam that has formed. Stir in the almonds and allow the topping to cool. Refrigerate the topping for at least 2 hours before using.
- The topping may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board
Substitution Tip: Use your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe or pre-made cookies in place of the recipe here.
Note: Preparation time includes only making the sundae.
Nutrition Note: Create the same delicious dessert with fewer calories and carbs by reducing the amount of ice cream and toppings used or choosing low-fat ice cream.
Calories from Fat 442 (32%)
(79%)Total Fat 51g
(102%)Saturated Fat 20g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 20g
Total Carbohydrate 227g
(104%)Dietary Fiber 26g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.