Vegetable Medley Stuffed Onions
Vegetarians will be delighted by these cooked onions stuffed with a plethora of vegetables. Serve as a main course alongside crusty bread.
- 4 large yellow onions
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb yellow summer squash, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1 cup white wine
- Peel onions; cut flat slice off base of each onion so they will stand upright. Hollow them out, leaving 1/2-inch shells. Chop onion from centers.
- Place onion shells in large skillet, add 1 inch of water, cover, and bring to boil. Simmer gently for 25 minutes or until soft. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon and drain.
- Empty skillet; add oil, and heat. Add chopped onion, squash, mushrooms, celery, red pepper, and garlic; saute over medium heat until tender-crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, tarragon, and wine and cook 2 minutes longer. Nestle onion shells into pan and fill with vegetable mixture.
Calories from Fat 13 (15%)
(2%)Total Fat 2g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 13g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.