White Bean Salad with Bacon and Tomatoes
This savory salad makes a quick side dish or a wonderful addition to any potluck.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 7-ounce jar roasted red pepper, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cups cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 lb Swiss chard, trimmed and coarsely chopped (or 12 ounces fresh spinach leaves)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans (or Great Northern beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbs chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs chopped basil leaves
- In small bowl, toss together the bacon, red pepper, and tomatoes; set aside. In large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add the Swiss chard and saute until almost limp (2-3 minutes). Add garlic, saute 1 minute; add beans and stir to heat through. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar; stir for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Place mixture on a serving platter, garnish with bacon mixture and herbs. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with wedges of focaccia.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 112 (45%)
(19%)Total Fat 13g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 25g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.