Wild Rice Athena
This mouthwatering Mediterranean-inspired recipe makes a delectable side dish or a light, meatless main dish.
- 2½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup wild rice
- ¾ cup jasmine or other long-grain white rice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 6.5 oz jar marinated artichoke heart
- 1 Tablesppon minced fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a 4- to 5-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add Wild Rice; reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until grains begin to open and feel tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in white rice. Cover tightly, and simmer until white and wild rice are tender to bite and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 more minutes.
- Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Chop artichoke hearts and add to onion and garlic along with the oregano and lemon peel. Stir often over medium heat until heated through. When rice is done, remove from heat and gently stir in onion-artichoke mixture, 1/4 cup reserved marinade, feta cheese and green onions. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 578 (32%)
(100%)Total Fat 65g
(138%)Saturated Fat 28g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 29g
Total Carbohydrate 252g
(91%)Dietary Fiber 23g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.