- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 head cabbage, preferably Savoy, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bunch fresh basil stems (leaves removed), tied together with string
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 cups basic vegetable stock
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 red potatoes, cut into 1inch cubes
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 (3-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 cups uncooked spinach radiatore pasta, or any spiral pasta
- 1 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the cabbage and sweat for 4 minutes, until wilted.
- Add the thyme, basil stems, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables. Add the stock, squash, potatoes, tomato paste, and Parmesan rind and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes, until tender.
- To serve, remove the basil stems and Parmesan rind, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with a dollop of pesto and the chopped scallions.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 176 (37%)
(31%)Total Fat 20g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 59g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.