Asian Shrimp or Chicken Salad
Delicious with either shrimp or chicken, sprinkling the crispy rice noodles on top adds a surprising crunch and makes a lovely presentation.
- Dressing1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup thick teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs honey or sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Shrimp or Chicken1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined or 3 medium skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pounds (570 g)
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- Salad1 small head Savoy or Chinese cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, strings removed and sliced on the diagonal
- 4 scallions, finely sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 cup whole or chopped unsalted cashews
- 1 can (8 ounces/230 g) sliced water chestnuts, drained and sliced into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 oz dried rice noodles
- 3/4 cup crispy rice noodles (optional)
- DressingFor the dressing, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, sesame seeds, honey or sugar, and garlic in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- ShrimpIn a shallow dish, mix the soy sauce, ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add the shrimp and stir to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- SaladIn a large bowl, mix the cabbage, celery, scallions, bean sprouts, carrots, cashews, water chestnuts, and cilantro. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the dried rice noodles and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Arrange the salad in the center of a platter and top with the shrimp. Place the rice noodles around the salad and present scattered with the crispy noodles on top, if desired.
- Chicken (if used)In a shallow dish, mix the soy sauce, ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, about 6 minutes, until just cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cut the chicken into strips. Once the salad is arranged, top with the chicken strips.
Copyright 2005 by Evelyn H. Lauder
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using shrimp.
Calories from Fat 131 (31%)
(24%)Total Fat 16g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 47g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.