Baked Polenta, Lasagna Style
This Italian-style cornmealmush layered with traditional marinara sauce is cheese-hearty andsatisfying.
- 2 cups coarse cornmeal or polenta
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- Optional additions:3 oz Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 box frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, grilled or cooked in a frying pan
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-sized
saucepan. Add salt and whisk in the cornmeal in a steady stream, stirring
all the while with a wooden spoon. Lower the heat and stir continuously for
about 15 minutes, until the cornmeal and water have turned into a smooth
- Turn the polenta (the cornmeal mush) out onto a cookie sheet and smooth it out.
Let it rest until it is firm and cool. Slice it into strips about 3 inches (8cm) wide and
about 6 inches (16cm) long and place the strips on a piece of wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190.5C). Lightly oil a
9x13-inch (23x35cm) lasagna pan or other oven-proof shallow serving dish.
- Pour about 1/2 cup (120mL) of the marinara
sauce on the bottom of the pan. Place the slices of polenta in the pan,
alternating with the slices of mozzarella cheese, until all the cheese and
polenta are used up. Pour the rest of the marinara sauce over the casserole
and sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so, until
the lasagna is bubbly, the cheese is melted, and a wonderful aroma
permeates your house.
- If desired, the Gorgonzola can be sprinkled over the
top, or the spinach or sausage can be layered in-between the polenta and
- Makes 4 generous servings.
Calories from Fat 251 (38%)
(44%)Total Fat 29g
(72%)Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 68g
(39%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.