Braised Curried Lamb Shank with Yucca
Awaken your palate with a medley of flavors from across Latin America in this delightful lamb dish.
- 12 whole American lamb shanks
- sea salt to taste
- 3 Tbs peanut oil
- 3 yellow onions, peeled, minced
- 6 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled, finely minced
- 1 head fresh garlic, peeled, minced
- 3 jalapenos, seeded, finely minced
- 3 Tbs coriander, ground
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 1/2 quarts water or lamb stock
- 3 cups yogurt, plain
- 2 lbs yucca, peeled, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, red garnett or regular orange
- fresh mint, cut into narrow strips garnish
- Season the lamb with sea salt. In a heavy-bottomed braising pan, heat the oil. Brown lamb shanks deeply on all sides, turning occasionally. Work in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan. Once the lamb is caramelized on all sides, set aside.
- Blend the onions, ginger, garlic and jalapenos until a smooth consistency is reached. In a separate container, mix the coriander, curry powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using the same pan over medium heat, add the onion-garlic paste; allow to cook just until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in spice mixture; simmer for an additional 20 seconds. Add the water or lamb stock. Increase heat to medium-high, bringing mixture to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Temper the yogurt into the braising liquid by gradually whisking it in until combined with the sauce.
- Return lamb shanks to the pan; cover and simmer very gently until the lamb is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Check and stir frequently so as not to burn the pan. Add the yucca and sweet potatoes during the last 15 minutes and cook until tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt. Garnish with fresh mint.
Calories from Fat 126 (28%)
(22%)Total Fat 14g
(19%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.