Braised Lamb Shank with Three Bean Ragout
This well-seasoned stew is hearty enough for a family supper while maintaining an aromatic elegance to delight guests.
- Lamb Shanks8 lamb shanks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 Tbs black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups white wine
- 6 cups stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs butter
- Three Bean Ragout3/4 cup uncooked white beans
- 3/4 cup uncooked black beans
- 3/4 cup uncooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 Tbs fresh oregano, chopped
- 1- 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Mix flour, chili powder, salt and pepper together. Roll shanks in this flour mixture. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. In batches, sear shanks on all sides to brown; remove from pan. Repeat process adding more oil as needed. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic; saute to brown. Add wine, stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Arrange shanks in two 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans, placing 4 shanks in each pan. Divide vegetable mixture in Dutch oven between baking pans, pouring over shanks. Cover with foil; bake at 325F for 2-1/2 hours, turning shanks half way through. The meat should be very tender but still on the bone. Remove shanks and keep warm.
- Strain sauce and reduce by half. Add butter; stir until melted.
- For Ragout
Put all beans in a large pot, cover with cold water. Cover pot; soak beans for 6 hours or overnight. Drain beans and return to pot, adding bacon, thyme, oregano, stock, garlic and jalapenos. Cover with water. Bring to a boil for 2 hours, adding water as necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve 4 shanks with Three-Bean Ragout and a little pan sauce. Pull lamb meat from remaining 4 shanks, reserve for sliders.
Calories from Fat 436 (37%)
(69%)Total Fat 45g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 82g
(56%)Dietary Fiber 14g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.