Cannoli Cake Roll
Creamy ricotta and candied fruit fill this cake roll. The whimsical pinwheels slices look delightful on their plates.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ground unsalted pistachio nuts or almonds (2 oz.)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit, such as cherries, pineapple and orange peel
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 400f. Coat 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with waxed or parchment paper; spray paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 Tbs at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next (rub a bit of mixture between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth). Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beat egg yolks in clean mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until pale yellow and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Mix nuts and flour in small bowl; sprinkle evenly over egg whites. Add yolk mixture. Fold gently but thoroughly until color is uniform and no streaks of white remain. Do not stir. Pour into prepared pan; spread even.
- Bake in 400f oven until center springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto towel; carefully peel off waxed paper. Trim all cake edges with serrated knife. Roll up cake, starting from short end and rolling towel in with cake. Cool wrapped cake roll, seam-side down on wire rack.
- Combine ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Carefully unroll cooled cake; remove towel. Spread evenly with filling; reroll cake. Refrigerate, covered and seam-side down.
If using salted pistachios, omit salt from recipe.
Calories from Fat 88 (32%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 37g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.