Roasted Garlic Potato Salad
Garlic and olives add a twist to traditional potato salad that will make it a must-have at your next picnic.
- 2 large heads garlic
- 3 lb medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Tbs white-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped olives
- 1 4-oz. jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh chives or scallion greens, plus more for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Rub off excess papery skin from the garlic heads without separating cloves. Slice the tips off each head, exposing the cloves. Place garlic heads on a square of aluminum foil, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. water and pinch edges of foil together to make a package.
- Roast until garlic flesh is very soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Unwrap garlic and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until potatoes are tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl. Toss gently with the vinegar and let cool.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the pulp into a food processor or blender. Add mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Add the dressing to the potatoes and toss to coat. Finely chop 3 of the hard-cooked eggs and add to the potatoes along with the celery, olives, pimientos, parsley and chopped chives (or scallion greens). Stir gently to mix. Season with the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the paprika. Slice the remaining egg and arrange the slices decoratively on top. Garnish with more chives and/or parsley sprigs.
Calories from Fat 63 (28%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US-registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.